06 January 2006

The baby boomer male

There's a lot of comment around on the death of Steve Rogers and the fact that he suffered from depression but felt unable to talk about it to anyone. In the last few years I've actually noticed that more of my peer group - all classic boomers - are able to open up and not feel uncomfortable. This has included on issues of our health and wellbeing. A few years ago I would not have thought it possible. We have to somehow raise the awareness of a bigger proportion of this - and subsequent - generations that it's perfectly OK, it's normal and it's certainly not poofy.

A few of us to whom I'd apply these comments have had the advantage of some training courses that forced us into being more open in our communications with each other and with other people. See previous post...

3 comments:

Armagnac Esq said...

It's funny, I've always been able to talk about emotional and personal issues with fellow males. Maybe it's a function of me having limited interest in sport?

I think competitiveness that is ingrained from our earliest years makes males inherently defensive in each others company and competitive, so admitting 'issues' can be hard, still.

For this reason I've always nurtured friendships with women.

phil said...

I think it's because you're a cat person:-) But you're on the money with the competitiveness and the defensiveness. And welcome to my little blog - I am trying to build a links bar, with consumate lack of success at the moment. That's a bugger because I am very competitive...

Anonymous said...

Phil, I have one word for all baby boomers ... er, maybe several:

I gotta a gal and she's so fine
Lets me hug and kiss her all the time
Like to see her do the chicken bop
Shakes all over from the bottom to the top

Boom Boom I said Boom Oom Boom Boom
Well Boom Boom Baby please don't stop

Boom Boom Baby I'll make it clear
Till I die I'll always want you near
Every evening when the lights are low
I'll watch my Boom Boom Baby go

Boom Boom I said Boom Oom Boom Boom
Well Boom Boom Baby I love you so, yeah

[Sax Break]

Took her dancing on a saturday night
Everything was going quite all right
She did the chicken in the middle of the floor
Everyone was yelling for more, more, more

Boom Boom I said Boom Oom Boom Boom
Well Boom Boom Baby you're the one I adore

At a party we were having fun
Then somebody put the record on
It had the beat that she liked best
I couldn't stop her and you know the rest

Boom Boom I said Boom Oom Boom Boom
Well Boom Boom Baby you're the best

Oh yeah honey, you're the best
Oh shake it one more time
Easy now, that's right

(Billy) Crash Craddock, 1959

Long live really silly music!

Gympie Guy

About Me