18 July 2006

losing it

Even thought this is just a weensy corner of the blogosphere, I am chuffed by the visitor traffic I get and much moreso by getting comments from people I see as 'recognised' in the 'sphere such as Gerry, Barista, tigtog and JahTeh. And my poisnal friends, natch.

But again this is starting to get to me. I spend hours in front of this machine looking for inspiration and points of difference. I sure can't come up with any myself and having promised to give up raging at the federal government I keep slipping back into very bad habits..

The last two nights, in between doing the blogrounds, I've been watching and listening to Pulse, which has
just been released on DVD, and doing the odd strum and moan along. That is very rewarding, provided I don't actually try to imagine I'm a member of the band but just having a thrash. (but I do, of course).

Mrs v v b has commented that I'm starting to get a bit obsessive about all this - 'this' being the political scene, altho' I've been an amateur policy wonk for years. She would prefer that I kind of ceased and desisted for a while I think, or at least wound it back a notch. Particularly in her presence.

Which is a long way of saying I think I will wind it back a notch. In the time I've been following blogs, starting to comment and then having started v v b, I've noticed differences appearing in how the regular bloggers relate to each other. It's only natural that the 'sphere should mature (in a cheese-like sense, nothing to do with good behaviour). Trying to relate over the 'net is difficult - once the words are out there you are kind of committed, which can mean quick retaliation and exacerbating misunderstandings. But it's been instructive to watch the vast ideological differences get reeled in a bit; to look at those who give an inch and those who don't. Not forgetting those who take a mile. But I have noticed increasing civility - virtual social capital, if you like. So maybe the maturing is more than like cheese.

I really don't want to become obsessive but, on the other hand, this little blog has still to achieve its potential: in other words, I have yet to achieve mine through it. Ill-thought-through opinions are fine up to a point, but a bit tedious after that, I suspect. So, perhaps a few less postings and a bit more thought might be applied. Over and out-ish.

2 comments:

JahTeh said...

I'm beginning to think I am some sort of blog curse. Every time I start to finally comment on another blog, it implodes and fades away. Perhaps it's just the equivalent of battle fatigue.

phil said...

Have left a response on the catch 23 thread, Helen, and I'll post some photos if you like.

About Me