27 July 2006

tell me sweet little lies (updated)

What's the difference between Lebanese -Australians who aren't patriotic to this country by living in Lebanon until they need to be bailed out, and Australians who are fighting for another country? Well?

On the radio this morning I heard Condoleezza Rice say that she wanted peace for the Middle East but voted against an immediate cease-fire. Run that by me again? (Note - yeah, I know what was really meant and this is a sem-cheap shot, but still - it's absolutely fucking insane. Utterly one-sided and pointless).

The proposal to
ban junk food ads on prime time TV is a knee -jerk reaction, but a proposal to ban books isn't. Run that one by me again?

Blow me down this gets tiring, doesn't it? Has the whole world gone stone crazy?

There's probably more, but this is just too depressing. Fortunately, I'm a more optimistic type than I thought (open an account and do some surveys - it's fun!).

Update: In the Business Review Weekly today Ian Mac Farlane, apparently the Federal Minister for Industry, says that "An economy in Australia that does not have a sound, competitive industry is not going to be competitive."

I'm absolutely speechless. And I kind of wish the Minister was similarly speechless if that's the best he can do. Someone has evidently briefed him about competitiveness, but he never got beyond learning to pronounce it.

The Minister will be releasing an industry statement in early 2007. I can't wait. Let's have a crack at the intro, shall we?

"An industry statement cannot be a statement unless it has some industry. And this one has both."

We're doomed I tell you.

1 comment:

tomic said...

re: statement is not a statement. unless.

Reminds me of quite a number of skits Sean Micallef has done. Should fine them.

'Except of course, for this goat like animal you see here now'.

About Me