09 July 2006

sunday morning coming down

It is. And while I wait for Mrs v v b to digest coffee and paper preparatory to us going out and buying warmer pyjamas - why are the leafy western suburbs so frigging cold, this is Brisbane for fcuk's sake - some random thoughts.

The Curious Snail today leads with an apparent lapse by Honest John to abide by an apparent agreement to hand over to Costello after two terms. Now this doesn't surprise me and I don't think it'll do him any harm. In fact, nothing does him any harm, but let's not go down that path. It is of course reminiscent of the
Kirribilli Agreement, and any lieutenant with a baton in his backpack would need to be cleverer than either Keating or Costello to be entirely comfortable that any such 'agreement' would be honoured. "Honour" - John Howard. I made a small joke.

If I was to revert completely to type, I'd make a claim that this news simply underlines the fact that no-one should trust Howard on anything. But that would be an unwarranted cheap shot and consequently I haven't made it.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall while the various factions of the non-factionalised Liberal Party do their polling and plotting. Has IR started to dent Howard's teflon reputation, and my comment above about not being harmed is wrong? What is the general populace's view of Costello? What is the party's view of Costello, and the potential effect he as leader might have on their chances at the next election as the
natural party of government? (Like some claim for Labor at state level)? Or is this all just the usual winter recess's annual leadership story? Isn't there enough legs in the threat emanating from the Dear Leader?

Now there's a thought: could we have similar imposed names for our political leadership? What would we call Howard? How about Small Wonder?

Had an old mate around for din-dins last night. I've known this character for about 35 years and, apart from the rapidly greying locks, he hasn't changed at all. Quite amazing. He is one of those rare types who was born without a malicious bone in his body - something I can't claim, I'm sorry to admit. He is wonderful company except for being very softly spoken which, combined with my kind of declining hearing, often means I have to ask him to repeat stuff. He is a muso by inclination and, in the past, also as a paying pastime so he was keen to have a look and a play of the Aria and pronounced it good.

Update - well now afternoon so
change post title.

A final reflection on my mate from last night - people like that restore your faith in the good things about people. There should be more of him about.

Now a small but necessary duty, to thank those who sent flowers and good wishes to us over the last week and a half. Toodle-oo.

1 comment:

phil said...

Quite right Xeno and today's events prove that I don't need to be unfair, even his so-called friends and colleagues will do it. No honour amongst thieves, eh?

About Me