30 July 2006

playa hater

If the blogosphere is anything to go by, the schism between left and right in Australia is deepening, getting more pronounced, or similar, as one reads is happening in the US. In the first example, Tim Blair calls his supporters over to see the weird lefties after jessculture had a shot at the young fellow who hugged the PM. For a little while it's a duck shooting gallery as they all come in a site they'd never normally visit and are appalled at the attitudes they find there. What - not all Australians support the PM? What's wrong with you people (DH: does this break the rules?). Then some of Jess's regulars ride in to shoot some holes in the arguments. But it's a no-win situation.

Meanwhile at that
outpost of leftist tyranny, Larvatus Prodeo, some artfully juxtaposed photos of war dead along with some selected RWDB comments sets off another round of increasingly acrimonious baiting, with one commenter eventually banned.

Finally, at that institution of reasoned debate and libertarian idealism (is libertarian idealism a contradiction in terms?),
Catallaxy, a slightly more restrained exchange of views although it's starting to get willing.

Did this level of intolerance exist in pre-internet days? How did the extremes of right and left get the shit off their livers? I guess it's only a small percentage of the population who are currently engaging in this increasingly hostile environment on the 'net, but surely it must spread and bust out? One thing we don't need in this country is violence at the polling station - we nearly got it with the rise of One Nation. But the polarisation seems to get gaining momentum.

4 comments:

JahTeh said...

I read LP then popped over to Jess and I'm amazed at how vitriolic the comments were especially over a post that was more 'taking the piss' than serious.

The thing was in the days before Internet, you didn't discuss politics in the company of a cast of thousands so any stoush stayed at the pub or in house.

phil said...

True. What kind of concerns me is that the thousands are getting much more polarised because there are fewer inhibitions on 'bad' behavious on the 'net: eg, the risk of an instant thump on the nose if a pub argument gets too willing.

Even taking into account the fact that my natural preferences lead me to see "the right" (as broadly stereotyped) as undesirable (I had to think about that adjective, and I'm still not surr it's what I mean) - the level of vitriol on the Ausculture thread was mindblowing. Boy, can these folks hate. And someone returned tonight onto one of Jess's more usual BB06 posts to express their disgust of homosexuality. Progress takes a long time.

Anonymous said...

If you've ever served at polling booths handing out HTVs and then scrutineering, you will know that violence is just around the corner.

There is always some wanker who wants to make life difficult for everyone.

A few elections ago I was visiting some friends in Woolwich in 'Sydeney' and it happened to be federal election time, so I promised to help my hosts hand out HTVs for the Democrats, even though I was a member of the Greens at the time.

As it turned out, I ended up handing out Democrat cards with one hand and Greens cards with the other because I was the only one there at one stage from either party. Cool!

Now Woolwich/Hunters Hill is the 'blue heart' of a cerain Prime Minister's electorate and he even turned up while I was there. (Phil, I swear I did not shake his hand!)

Not long after a Greens guy arrived and I gave over the HTVs. Not long after that he was embroiled in a flaming row with some snotty-nosed, abnoxious young liberal with a point to prove.

I've seen a few confrontations on polling booths, but that one was a lulu. No damage done unfortunately.

Gympie Guy

phil said...

You going to be handing out greens HTV cards in Gympie? There wouldn't be a Democrats candidate there, eh?

About Me