15 September 2006

don't forget to remember

Sadly, too late for that. In amongst a busy day I had an idea for a theme tonight, but it's lost in the mists of time. I suspect it may have been rodent-related so it's probably a good thing that it's gone. I certainly recall thinking at the time that the entire ABC news last night was devoted to his perpetual glorification, so I was ready with the stopwatch tonight, but only one clip with sound (30 seconds of outraged whining) and another 10 odd seconds without sound, so any theory that the ABC really is the new Pravda will have to wait. I guess if Richard Alston couldn't do it with a herd of hired media monitors, neitehr can I with a stopwatch and glass of chateau collapso in hand.

A rare burst of levity in the drab VVB suburban lifestyle will occur tomorrow night: we is going to a party! What fun! It will take some dedicated efort to remember what to do. Fortunately the invitation said "bring musical instruments" so I simply have to remember to take the guitar and not the piano accordian.

Speaking of stomach Steinways brings us back the old man, who went to school with
this chap, and who only outlived dad by a couple of months. Apparently Saffron was a 'colourful character' even in his school days from what dad used to say.

update...oh yeah...

16 September...I've just remembered what it was I was going to write about and boy, is it ever ironic.

I was in a CBD supermarket at lunchtime yesterday. This market has a double row of cashiers to both the left and right of the head of the curly queue of shoppers, so the cashiers call out "next" when they are free for the next customer. When my turn came, I heard the call but couldn't discern which direction it came from. I turned left but, seeing no cashier with a hand raised, I turned right only to see a young (about 20-ish) person rushing off to 'my' cashier. Too late! I had to wait for the next one who, fortunately, was in my field of vision.

Having successfully concluded the transaction and while walking back to work, I was thinking that I hadn't expected this kind of situation until I was maybe in my 70s: certainly not my mid-50s. I didn't even think badly of the person who simply took advantage of my mistake - it's a dog-eat-dog world and I no longer expect any kind of community spirit or recognition of others' interests. I guess what's really sad about that is that we are so individually oriented.

There must be more people about with what used to be called 'manners' I suppose, but we no longer give that kind of behaviour the emphasis we once did. So what's ironic is that the poor old brain took a day to remember the incident but also, now that the story has been recounted, I sound really old-fashioned. Which was not the intention but may be the insight. Far too heavy for a Saturday, will leave it to mull over for a couple of decades.

1 comment:

phil said...

ouch

that's what I'm afraid of

About Me