11 August 2006

m-m-m-m-my g-g-g-g-g-generation

But before we get to the endless self-absorption of the boomers, a point or two on the London arrests. As will have been extremely apparent over the life of VVB I am, for want of better stereotyping, wishy-washy left and as part of this I am generally opposed to war, capital punishment, 'tough love' and all similar sorts of straightener and punisher policies. This includes of course preemptive bombing of places just because they might hurt us, or be associated with people who might hurt us, in the future.

The interception of an apparent terrorist act as seems to have happened, though, should cause even those of us of similar disposition to think twice. What if they - the people who preach pre-emptive action at a 'maximum', 'strategic', level - are right? I don't think we can just dismiss it from a purely ideological standpoint. I don't like it, but I have to consider the implications both positive and negative. I'll come out with my same preferences. But I do think that all positions should be examined, and none dismissed out of hand. That's playing the 'other side's' game.

The more wishy washy thing is to just ignore it and talk about something more pleasant, and also within power to influence. The regular Friday coffee was good as usual this morning (well, the actual coffee not so, we had to order a second, stronger one) and the theme of generational differences got another run.

My Friday interlocutor mounted an argument along the lines that, contrary to usual assumptions, baby boomers are just as - if not more so - adaptable to change than Gen X and Gen Y. His example was a former colleague, now about 55, whom he had assisted in searching for a job. He is an expert in ERP, or Enterprise Resource Planning. But this bloke's advantage is that when he started out as a production scheduler, he learnt to do it manually - pad, paper, and head. Then came the calculator. Then came the computer. He learnt the new systems but, as results of having learnt in the manual era, he actually understands how it works. I know this will resonate with a couple of my readers.

And I think that applies to a lot of us in this age bracket: we do understand the basics and we have adapted to - well, actually invented - the computer age. Just don't ask me to try to work a new device - mobile phone particularly - without giving me some time. Somehow I bypassed the early computer games period and, as a result, I just find it difficult to relate to some types of screen displays that, to me, mimic games screens. Script too small. Too many doo-dads going on.

Maybe the generalisation above doesn't really apply to me. I like real stuff.

Have a good weekend. May do some brewing this weekend, and I'll try to get photos of the remaining models so I can resume the ongoing car story.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

phil

like how you avoid stereotyping in the opening sortie but lapse into it got the discussion RE generational gappage.

tyr www.thebeershow.com for a good contact regarding home brew... ask for jason

c

phil said...

When you get back here at some stage, we can have a talk about denialism - how easy it is to go into predisposed positions.

Gotta say though it makes it easier to write. Just gets boring to read I guess.

For someone who once thought about becoming a journo and who likes the feel of language on my tougue, I find this style of writing very hard. The conventional wisdom is to just keep doing it and it'll come easier and hopefully get better. I also wish this applied to playing guitar - have been 'noodling' for the last hour in front of the footy. I have to front up to Geoff's bro tomorrow, collect the cash for the Yammy and demonstrate how shitty I really am. Depending on his response - and he seems a really nice bloke, no surpise there - I should have some lessons.

About Me