09 December 2006

Rally for David Hicks, Brisbane

Today's rally was attended by about 250, maybe 300 people. A series of good, short (good idea, given pretty warm conditions and a fair few children tagging along) speeches and a quick rip around the city to conclude.

It was hard to know how many people to expect and I have to admit I was a disappointed, but Hicks is a far from simple issue for many people. Well almost: this letter in today's SMH sums up why it's hard to get people to analyse what David Hicks' continued incarceration means because they see it far too simply:


Why is everyone bleating for the return of David Hicks to Australia? Could someone remind me when he was captured, where he was captured, who was he with when captured and what he was doing there?
Scott Dempster Lane Cove

The speeches rightly focused on the broader implications arising from Hicks' five years in captivity, namely the suspension of basic obligations to its citizens by a (supposedly) democratic government and what that means for all of us. Most speakers received polite but enthusiastic applause but hisses and boos were reserved for mention of Philip Ruddock (and rightly so, might I add - let's all hope for a ton of retirbution to fall on his head one day) and cheers for the possibility of a Labor Government in a year's time.


I was very taken by one sign that read "Bring Hicks home" on one side and "Is Rudd a dud on Hicks" on the other. No pressure, Kevin. It certainly stood out from all the signs which heaped calumny on the PM. The march was pretty short and sharp which contributed to some lack of coordination in the chants: Mrs V V B and I were pretty much in the middle and the chants from in front and behind us were different for a good proportion of the march. Towards the end, I'm sure I heard a small voice sing "Lock up Howard, bring Dad home". Not sure what Dad's been up to...

While perhaps a tad sad about the turnout it was, quite obviously, an extremely varied mixture of radical left, young protestors, the perpetually outraged (and good on 'em, I guess) and lots of what seemed ordinary people from the 'burbs, such as Chateau VVB, who only get outraged about some things. I don't know any other Brisbane bloggers personally - apart from
Mei Ultra Vires who was there with the brood - so I can't say whether any other reports will surface apart from this pretty skimpy one.

Update: the Courier Mail today puts participation at 400.

2 comments:

mei ultra vires said...

I know what you mean. I had hoped for a higher response - and hence was disappointed at the level of response. However, I've noticed that Brisbane seems to be more conservative than most cities when it comes to protest marches - perhaps this is a legacy from Joh's era?

As much as I despise the rodent - as you well know - I was a little disappointed that the chants tended to focus around him. Was superbly impressed when the bullhorns had run out of breath - and a women near me just started a simple chant - "Close Guantanomo, free David Hicks". Myself and the woman next to her took up the chant, and you could just feel it radiate outwards through the march, like a ripple in a pond. It was the loudest and strongest my voice was throughout the march, and I actually had a rush of goosebumps - I felt remarkably unified with cause. And then the bullhorns picked it up - and corrupted it down to "Lock up Howard, free David Hicks". Suddenly the fire in the belly seemed to dissipate. I want the bastard gone, but today I marched for David Hicks.

phil said...

Yeah. It's a measure of how much howard has 'informed' everything that goes on around the country. It's all about him, waht mcuh of today did was reinforce it. I'm sure it gave him that old warm feeling when he saw it on the plasma at Kirribilli.

About Me