06 December 2006

world without love

"Please lock me away,
And don't allow the day.
Here inside, where I hide,
With my loneliness".


Might be the song of David Hicks, eh?

But at last a noticeable number of ordinary Aussies in the street, as well as
some more prominent people, have at last realised the true extent of the gross injustice that has been perpetrated against Hicks. They have realised that what happened to Hicks could well happen to them. The very smallest protections - for example Australia's responsibilities to its citizens under the 1963 Geneva Convention on Consular Relations - can be withdrawn at any time, at the whim of the government. No, this isn't East Germany...it's Australia. Our Australia.

Yeah, I know, he has had consular visits. How long did it take for the first one? What is the responsibility of the 'holding' country under the Convention? How convenient that Hicks was taken to the legal black hole that is Guantanamo.

Anyway, tonight's news had one of the government's main apologists for its crimes against humanity, Philip Ruddock, mouthing the usual load of self-serving garbage, obsfucation and lies that constitutes its usual method of communicating with the populace.

I have to admit that I didn't hear much of what he had to say because I was screaming at the TV - yeah, still happens - but I did catch him mention "accountability". I do hope he wasn't talking about that in relation to the pack of immoral lowlifes of which he is a part. "Accountability" is a term which could never, in any sense, be applied to them.

Bring Hicks home.

Afterword: stone the bloody crows, I just
read the news report of Ruddock's effort. What a totally...gaaah, words fail me. Utter slime.

BTW, what fortitude and dignity Terry Hicks has shown over the last five years. Five years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So Ruddock cant' understand why "there has been a lot of advocacy launched on behalf of one person"? Next he will be asking for whom the bell tolls.

Quite right to get angy over this one.

David

phil said...

TFR. I don't expect goverments of any persuasion to have compassion but I do expect the minimum of some morality. This lot lowered themselves below the minimum some years ago. The contempt this shows to the general populace (ahh, "the mob" I believe is the favoured expression) is beyond....words.

About Me