04 December 2007

all you need is love

This is pretty much what David Crosby said on 7.30 report. He's still a believer in the great wave of hope that rolled over the western world in the mid to late 60s. If you read Hunter S Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, you'll read how he relates when the great wave rolled back. Altamont had something to do with it, so did did the rise of Nixon. Thompson says you need the right kind of eyes. When you listen to Crosby, and take him at face value, you realise you also need the right kind of heart and the right kind of brain.

So it's still philosophy for dumboes here in slightly airless, downtown Rockvegas. Maybe it's all the spare time I have, when I don't have to gather up and process the fallen leaves that characterise the leafy western suburbs and Chateau VVB is particular.

Gets to you though - Pied a Terre VVB has a pool and on Saturday it was all I could do to stop going down to scoop up the 5 or 6 leaves that had fallen in it. That and the fact that I had temporarily misplaced the key to the pool.

Anyway I'm looking forward mightily to seeing and hearing Crosby, Stills (well the guitar more than the voice in Steven's case) and Nash in a week or so's time. I will be disappointed if they are anything less than sublime but I am sure I will not be disappointed.

The Rocky management experience continues to yield daily doses of new experiences and situations with which to wrestle. It's all great experience and I need to make sure I don't forget the high and low spots.

On another tack entirely, it's mightily liberating not to rant about the recently deposed (except he hasn't conceded yet - how typical). It's like other things, addictions in fact, that I have given up. Yes, we're talking about coffee. I went out to Yeppoon at the weekend and can confirm that you can't get a proper flat white, at least at one shop. But I'll be going back to test some of the others as I can't imagine that a place where townhouses on the marina sell for over $2m that you can't get a decent espresso. Although such places undoubtedly have a built in coffee maker in the (European) kitchen.

Anyway that's about it. Hanging about the blogosphere and its neighbouring parts is another addiction that no longer has its scrawny fingers around me...half an hour and I'm done.

Is there anything going on? Drop me a line, c/- pied a terre VVB. I'll be counting leaves in the pool.

Actually, I see that the name of the movie The Golden Compass (tm) is trademarked. For no other reason than petty narrowmindedness on my part, I think this is legalised insanity. I was going to make a remark about parents trademarking a newborn's name, but as I recall reading a little while ago an article about 'branding' a child for future success, I actually wouldn't be surprised.

And I can't figure out how to select text on this machine so I can use my usual font. Bum.

1 comment:

JahTeh said...

Yeppon has wildlife, the biting kind. What doesn't get you in daylight will hunt you down at night. On my list of places never to visit.

About Me