26 June 2007

doctor my eyes


Pryor gets it right again in today's Canberra Times.
In other news specially for bwca, our mutual friend has left a message for you on the thread a couple of posts back ("low road").
Which enables me to state my view here: I have no problem at all with people of faith, provided they don't try to make mileage out of it. I've got a couple of regular church goers in my current team and they're fine. One in fact is very active in his church and he understands very well that it's his business and others might not share his view. In the past I've had people of faith who never lost an opportunity to tell people about it and it all got pretty tense - in a work environment you've got to be very careful about saying anything or you'll be up on a discrimination charge pdq. And you can't always rely on the group ethic to restore/maintain balance.
Others can put my view much better than me. For example this piece in the Times (why can't we have newspapers like this?).
I guess what I really have a problem with is all organised religion, which to my mind are simply power structures that enable some to maintain dominion over others. In particular, I've always found it pretty amazing how many religions enforce the domination of men over women. If I was sceptical, I'd be thinking that the church structure was put in place purely for that purpose.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gr8 post! You should be on the other end of organised religion! It's a very unplesant experience and effects your very psyche.

Zoe XXX

JahTeh said...

Gee Phil, I don't know why you'd say that, we need patriachal religious bullshit to make the flowers grow.

Anyhow the Great Goddess is just biding her time, she'll be back and then WE'LL RISE UP AND PUT YOU MEN BACK WHERE YOU BELONG, ahem, just giving you warning so you can make plans, you being one of the good'uns an all.

R.H. said...

My dears I'm sorry to disappoint you but I'm not a rampant evangelical and so you'll have to hunt somewhere else for it. I've never opened a bible, do not attend church, and even my own daughter has no knowledge of my interest in any of it.

Sorry.

But glad tidings to you.
-Robert.

(Go back to the 'rodent')

phil said...

If I was going to pick an enemy, it certainly wouldn't be teh sisterhood.

My immediate challenge is to get my contribution at chateau vvb up to the national average of a minimum 5 hours' housework a week (for men).

It's so much easier just pointing to the good book (this being a workshop manual for the Rover P6).

About Me