17 August 2007

never ending story

Something a bit different - I'll update the post over the weekend with stuff I find or whatever. This will bring many benefits, mainly that I won;t have to think up a new title for each post.

This is a significant benefit.

First, courtesy of moronland (what a great blog title, shame more of us can't use it), you need to know about a
female horse stuffed with wax. Yes, indeed. The only question this raises in my mind is, why does the Chinese language enable one to say such a thing?


On utterly unrelated other matters, I started a FaceBook page during the week. This is yet another fun noughties way of wasting an otherwise perfectly good life doing stuff, wherein one can define 'stuff' as 'nothing'. Social networking? When the computer can bring me a beer, I'll treat it seriously. Even offspring number one wrote on my wall that I should prepare to be utterly baffled by it.


However, I will say in FaceBook's defence that it's (a) more grown up than MySpace and (b) more user friendly than LinkedIn.


Geez I hate this running two words together and capitalising both. It's PainFul.


The picture is of offspring no 1 at his preferred pastime of d-j'ing. Actually, that's amongst his pastimes of drinking beer and fiddling with cars. Takes after his old man in both of those, he does.

Update no 1: as a typical middle manager I was drawn to this story, as indeed I am to anything that might shed some light on my working life. Regrettably this is a colour-by-numbers exercise so not much light being shone. I take a pretty different view on most of this - to start with, in the knowledge economy you don't treat the staff like worker bees, you seek their input and work up your schemes together.

The need to be unremittingly positive is a vexed one with me - I once worked for a bloke who practised this relentlessly and so, in my book, had zero credibility. I try to be more honest with the current team on the understanding that if I tried something fake, they'd see through it immediately and then nobody's a winner.

A few years ago my then team put me up for an award - "Person most likely to brighten your day." What that said about me as a manager I don't know, but I construed it that it was their job to do their jobs and it was my job to keep them happy. It worked for a while.

Update no2:

It's expensive to rent stadiums.
Are you quite old? Do you stutter? Want money? (Only in the land of the free).
Do any of you know how to build a box that will hold someone's feet - and some rattlesnakes?
Stories courtesy of here.

No comments:

About Me