14 January 2006

Authentic engagemnet No2

I don't see anything wrong with being a Howard hater. I'll tell you why I am - I resent how successful he's been at implementing his 'program'. Keating might have been a headkicker but, to me, he talked in terms of the future and where the country could go. Howard's 'vision' for me is reductionist - the mechanics of how a society works - look after yourself, grab as much as you can, demean and despise anyone who's different and if you can't manage all of that, you're a loser and society shouldn't care about you. Look, there's another tax cut.

Instead, what we got was the reassurance that we would be 'relaxed and comfortable' - ie the reassurance of a classic conservative - when all along the dismantling of
all the good things about the country was under way. But that wasn't a 'lie' - just a 'non-core' promise.

What cuts me is that he has successfully brought the country around to this view and has, over the last ten years, suborned the instruments of governance that mitigate the inevitable outcomes of such a 'program'. Puke.

No comments:

About Me