04 January 2006

I married Isis on the fifth day of May






Well, not actually. It was, I think, in about October 1968. And this is more or less what she looked like.

A 1958 Morris Isis, mine was in a fetching faded shade of green with white (well, kind of faded off white) side stripe and roof.

The greatest feature of the Isis was that you could carry about 23 people in perfect comfort along with any necessary accessories for luxury travel such a kitchen, billiard table or swimming pool. A throbbing 2639cc of C-series power (about 55 hp if I recall) meant a relaxed touring speed of about 70 mph or slightly higher if you didn't mind welsh plugs popping out.

I sometimes wish I still owned one, but then I wake up screaming. Instead, I bought a 1/43 scale handmade model in white metal. The finish is reassuringly British. When the digital cmera eventually gets fixed I might see if I can be bothered taking a picture that's actually in focus.






No comments:

About Me