26 March 2008

don't look back in anger

Actually, please do look back - and front, but never sideways - in anger.

I walk very quickly. I like to get from A to B because that means I'm ready to get back to A again before everybody else. So whenever Mrs VVB and I are walking somewhere, she always gets a wry look when I almost walk over the back of someone or, more accurately, when she notices me forcibly refrain from bunging my elbow into the ear of someone who will inevitably come to a sudden stop on the footpath while they:

- chat on the mobile;
- decide to conduct a stationary conversation with their companion/s;
- suddenly remember something they should be doing and stop to have a think about it;
- just get confused by life and have to stop.

One of these days, one of these people is going to get my elbow in their ear.

And similar for people at traffic lights - it's about when the light goes green and they appear to be waiting for another shade, maybe a bit more pastel.

And then they seem to just get confused by life and sit there.

So I get angry, more often than is good for me and for anyone else around.

Society seems to be getting angrier. Binge drinkinItalicg by young people - yes, and include 'glassing' as a consequence. So the rest of us now have to drink from plastic mugs - does that make us angry? You bet. I get angry when the legislative response to someone else's lack of sefl control or bad upbringing infringes my personal liberty.

King hitting people and putting the boot in while they're down. When did that little trend start?

Anyway, this is Chateau VVB, not some bloody social research site so just read the comments attached to the article - there are some classics, both literal and ironic.

I do love Poms.

3 comments:

DD said...

You wouldn't love me, I'm a crip & I walk real slow. If people bash into me I get all confused and accidentally bash their shins with my walking stick.

Unknown said...

Indeed. Along the way we seem to have become something very far from a law-abiding society, too. A good example of this is all the stupid clowns talking on their phones while driving.

What point is there in threats of heavy fines if they're never enforced, or if the people just pay them, complain bitterly that they're being wronged, and reoffend the next morning?

My colleague here said, long ago, when we were talking about this topic:

"Why not just make it illegal to commit crimes at night?"

phil said...

Those who are evidently restricted in their mobility I can veer around, those who need to put serious thought into activities such as breathing get the elbow.

Crimes at night? Do they happen?

About Me